Five helpful home hints that may save you a vet visit

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Five helpful home hints that may save you a vet visit

Post by Dot »

At my clinic, , we take a natural, holistic approach to animal care and welfare. Immediate veterinary care is the only option if your pet develops a serious illness or has an accident but, there is an ever-growing list of home remedies for more minor complaints that might just save you an unnecessary trip to the vet, and save your pet from unnecessary exposure to unnecessary medications.

Itchy dog
If your dog has itchy skin, don’t use any shampoo on it. It will often make the skin problem worse. Start adding flax seed oil, like Flax Seed Oil (an Omega 3 supplement) which promotes skin health and coat condition, to your pet's diet instead. The addition of flax seed oil, and the cessation of pet shampoo usage will soon result in a visible reduction in your pet's skin irritation, not to mention a shiny, healthy coat. You can also try a coat rinse using calendula tea to soothe inflamed skin.

Senile pet
If your pet is in its later years, the herb Ginkgo Biloba may help prevent or reducing senility. Ginkgo Biloba is very popular in Chinese medicine and has been found to increase blood flow to the brain and extremities and, at the same time, been known to defer the progress of senile dementia and memory loss. A combination of Ginkgo and Ginseng forms a traditional remedy for senility and old age dementia. This can be purchased as a herbal tablet (for humans) and given at 1/2 to 1/4 of the adult human dose rate.

Nervous pet
If you have a very nervous animal, you can try treating it with Rescue Remedy (which can be purchased rom a health food shop). Rescue remedy can help your pet through thunder storms, vet visits, fireworks displays and other stressful situations. Vitamin B6 and Magnesium Orotate may also have a soothing effect on your stressed pet and 5-hydroxy tryptophan (as a supplement) can also naturally improve serotonin levels and calm anxiety.

Foreign object
If your dog has a grass seed or other foreign object lodged in its ear, try filling the ear with lightly warmed olive oil and gently massaging the ear. Odds are the grass seed will float to the top on the oil where your dog can shake it free. And, if not, the oil will generally soften the seed, alleviating the pain caused by the seed tip while waiting to get to your local vet.

Minor wound or abrasion
If your pet gets a minor wound or abrasion, three percent hydrogen peroxide solution (the type you can buy at your local supermarket) is an excellent all-purpose wound cleaner for both skin and mucky ear canals. You'll see the hydrogen peroxide foams up when it contacts infected material from a contaminated wound – that is quite normal and is the solution doing its work. A topical mix of aloe vera and Manuka honey is the perfect all-purpose wound treatment and will soothe infected skin, kill bacteria and promote rapid healing.

Remember, these home remedies are specifically for minor ailments. If your pet is suffering from a serious health issue, or sustains a serious injury, it is essential that you seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dcsingos

Re: Five helpful home hints that may save you a vet visit

Post by dcsingos »

Thanks Dot have you remedy for Senile owners. LOL
Serious tho, we appreciate all you information has helped us a couple of times. I have used Ginger tablets for Bonnie for when we know we have a big drive ahead, especially if it is a windy bumpy road, just help settle her. Is this a problem.
On the road full time, sometimes?????
http://dcsingos.wordpress.com
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Bonnie,
I shall ask our special vet friend for you . I have heard some people get good results from Remedy Rescue but I have no idea of the dose but shall ask. May take a day or so so hang in there.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Here you are Bonnie, the answer to your slaves question about you having ginger when travelling..

Hi Dot,
Ginger calm tablets are what we recommend for travel sickness as well as you can also give them some rescue remedy or emergency essences from the Australian bush flower essences. You can stick 3 or 4 drops in the water or in their mouth or on the back of their head.

Is it for a dog or cat? ----------- A dog Meagan

Kind regards
Meagan

Meagan can you give the ginger as well as the RR?

You can get the ginger calm from the chemist generally. Possibly health food shops too. And yes, you can use the bach and bush flower essences as well as the ginger calm.
dcsingos

Post by dcsingos »

Thanks Dot, I will continue to take them. Don't know what to give to my owner tho as he always forgets to check emails and where he puts things, got any ideas LOL
On the road full time, sometimes?????
http://dcsingos.wordpress.com
Dot

Post by Dot »

You are welcome Bonnie, re your slave ,get him a shock collar and press the button when you need something.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot, Bandit has been nibbling at grass on his morning walks for a few weeks now. He doesn't have worms and isn't tail dragging. I thought that he was trying to get morning dew of the grass at first, but I now notice that he does the same in the afternoon.
He has Anvantix and Interceptor every month as prescribed by the vet. His shots are all up to date. Do you think he is sick or just hungry?
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

supersparky wrote:Dot, Bandit has been nibbling at grass on his morning walks for a few weeks now. He doesn't have worms and isn't tail dragging. I thought that he was trying to get morning dew of the grass at first, but I now notice that he does the same in the afternoon.
He has Anvantix and Interceptor every month as prescribed by the vet. His shots are all up to date. Do you think he is sick or just hungry?
David I have sent your Q off to the vets that send me these posts. They are excellent at replying to me so hang in there.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Dot,

Grazing on grass is a completely normal behaviour and is part of the natural diet. they will usually go for the young shoots and a quite particular about the grasses they eat. However if they are just flat out eating grass ( any grass) usually they are trying to make themselves vomit, with the tannins in the older grasses. So basically he has nothing to worry about, all normal.

Kind regards

Meagan

Here you are David, told you they are quick... does that ease your anxiety?
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Thanks Dot, That's what I had hoped.. Every time I have to take him to the vet the bill starts at $400 and upwards. Last time was when he had been given some bones by one of the well intentioned neighbours
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.