Dog goes mad for a few minutes.

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
slowhand

Dog goes mad for a few minutes.

Post by slowhand »

My dog, is a border collie/Rodesian ridgeback, not much ridgeback though.

He's an inside dog, has 3 beds, seems really happy, eats very well, is a good worker and mate. Who goes everywhere with me.

Yesterday was awoken by him making a noise on his couch and at first thought it was him stretching and rolling around, as he does sometimes before getting up. But it didn't stop, so got up and saw him on back, with his 4 legs rapidly moving in a running motion but stiff, eyes shut shaking and pissed himself. Wouldn't react to my voice or trying to hold him, then he rolled on the floor, shit himself and went still, with his tongue hanging out and seemingly unconscious. Just as I was about to check him for heart beat and pulse, he sat up growled and nipped my finger, which has never happened as he is very gentle and the only form of violence he's been involved in is watching me watch footy, then he leaves the room. Then he sat there as though nothing had happened wagging his tail.

By the time I'd got all the coverings off his couch and cleaned the floor, he was out having a drink and wanting to go for walk. Since then absolutely nothing more has happened and he is fine, back to his old self completely.

Got any idea's, I have a theory, which is a bit far fetched and doesn't include aliens.
Busman

Re: Dog goes mad for a few minutes.

Post by Busman »

Tick he managed to get rid of ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Busman

Post by Busman »

Tick he managed to get rid of ?

Eaten some lithium ?

Full bladder ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Dot

Post by Dot »

A vet would be able to shed professional light but if I had to guess I would say epileptic fit or ? slow leak (blood) into the brain (tumour) and I would also say your dog was incontinent of both bowls & bladder just incase you need to tell your vet what happened.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
shonky

Post by shonky »

HI, all

He was chasing bunnies in his sleep. Steffie does it all the time. ( Seems I do it too,except for the incontinent bit, but Mrs shonky is too scared to wake me up!)
See you on the back roads,
shonky et al.
Dot

Post by Dot »

shonky wrote:HI, all

He was chasing bunnies in his sleep. Steffie does it all the time. ( Seems I do it too,except for the incontinent bit, but Mrs shonky is too scared to wake me up!)
Not what we have heard Shonky ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
slowhand

Post by slowhand »

Dot wrote:A vet would be able to shed professional light but if I had to guess I would say epileptic fit or ? slow leak (blood) into the brain (tumour) and I would also say your dog was incontinent of both bowls & bladder just incase you need to tell your vet what happened.
Thanks Dot, had hoped it may be associated with him drinking sewage water the day before from a bucket which normally has clean water in it, which goes onto the gardens. Had visitors the day before and got up very late, thought he may have been holding on and he went into a bit of toxic shock. I'm normally up by 5.30am, but that morning it was after 7 because of the gin and whiskey day. I'm a pretty rare drinker, so when I do, it really slows me down.

I live over 100 klms from vet, so will drop in and see one when I head that way Thursday. Thanks again, hope it is not either of those.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

When our cat had his first strokes he didn't loose bowel or bladder control, but he had a far away look and unstable, but seemed to come good fairly quickly, just like coming out of a deep sleep We didn't realise they were strokes he was having at that stage, we just thought it was bad dreams and we called them his spazz attacks. When he had the really bad one while laying on the bed with me he was wide awake, the pleading look in his eyes was hard to bear, he didn't ever fully recover from that one but he carried on for another 6 mths or more. The last ones left him helpless, only one back leg would obey his wishes, the others had muscle and strength, he just could not control their actions to co-ordinate movement, we decided his quality of life was gone and he was not enjoying life any more, so we let him move on to the happy mousing grounds.
What I'm saying is if they still appear to be happy with life, a few helping hands is small pay back for all the happiness, devotion and love they have given, but be prepared let go when you can see they are no longer happy
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Agree with Dot, description immediately suggested an epileptic fit to me.