Plodalong

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Jeff C

Plodalong

Post by Jeff C »

Our vehicle is a 1994 Toyota Hiace Commuter that we have called Plodalong. (With only 60KW (on a good day) from a naturally aspirated 2.8Litre diesel there was no other name that would have been appropriate (or clean) :D )
Plodalong is operational and as he has just recently been fitted with a new diesel engine we decided to take him out on a few occasions now for short trips in and around Far North QLD to bed the engine in and to iron out any kinks.
There are still more things to be done to Plodalong like a decent sized water tank and more battery + solar capacity but all the items needed are in hand, it's a matter of time before they are all added to him.
With his current mass at 2620Kg with all fuel and water tanks full and my wife and I sitting in him, progress up hill's of any size will be slow, but we don't care, we will get there in the end. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff & Sharon Cochrane
Home based at Innisfail, Far Nth QLD.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Plodalong

Post by T1 Terry »

There's what the problem is, all the wind resistance from the roof rack :lol: I do understand the poor performance issues, I had a diesel Tarago with the mighty 2.0ltr normally exaspirated engine, breath taking accelleration was not one of it's attributes. We have decided on a performance package for the 3500 Mazda, headlight covers so it can't see the hill coming and spacers under the rear springs so it always seems to be going down hill, it goes well down hill.
Sounds like you will be needing some light weight batteries :D No, I don't sell them, just know a bit about them.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
ALAN 41

Post by ALAN 41 »

T1 Terry wrote:There's what the problem is, all the wind resistance from the roof rack :lol: I do understand the poor performance issues, I had a diesel Tarago with the mighty 2.0ltr normally exaspirated engine, breat taking accelleration was not one of it's attributes. We have decided on a performance package for the 3500 Mazda, headlight covers so it can't see the hill coming and spacers under the rear springs so it always seems to be going down hill, it goes well down hill.
Sounds like you will be needing some light weight batteries :D No, I don't sell them, just know a bit about them.

T1 Terry
We've heard otherwise on that subject too. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hi Jeff, the real reason why your "plodalong is so xxxx up hills is because it's a HE. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.