Which Dual Cab Ute ??

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
whiteman

Which Dual Cab Ute ??

Post by whiteman »

Any thoughts on Ford Ranger V Mazda BT50 V Nissan Navara V Holden Colarado V Mitsubishi Triton...........Very difficult choice due to the variables involved eg engine size V tow capacity V GVM etc.

A shame that I need maximum tow capacity due to size of van where currenty Cruiser is "King", but don`t really want to downsize/change van at this stage, but am mighty tempted due the current price war being waged for any of the abovementioned tugs.
RussellB[SA]

Re: Which Dual Cab Ute ??

Post by RussellB[SA] »

I had a 2008 D40 Navara and was very happy, would have liked better fuel economy but had pleanty of power towin 2.6t Sterling van. Best fuel 17.7 l/100, worst 21. Around town 13l/100, best on highway not towing 9.5 l/100. Very comfortable great back seat arrangements allowing to fold up completely for max space access, very comforatble and easy to get in and out of. Not a skerrick of problems in the three years (57,000).

Sold because didn't have a caravan anymore and bought a Motor Home.

My two bobs worth.
Last edited by RussellB[SA] on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Only time will tell I guess but I just can't get my head around how a 'toy' truck can last any time tugging a load around the country.
I don't fear for the engines.
I fear for clutch, transmissions and diffs.
The original intent for most 4X4's was simply to hit the 4X stick to get out of a bog, climb a sandhill or drive down a soft beach.
Using them as prime-movers tugging a load continually km after km is a different thing.
Personally from a quick look at several choices the Ford F250 etc seems to have a much heavier drive train. I may be corrected by those who have been there, done that...........

PS. Maybe shift this to "nuts & bolts" ?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The way I look at it, it a vehicle to suit a purpose choice. Sure any one of those utes isn't going to get the life time mileage of an F250 Hino truck etc, but you aren't looking for a vehicle to do interstate on a commercial basis, it's a leisure vehicle. So now the choice is, which one is comfy with out the weight on the back, which one tows best with the weight on the back, which one costs the most to maintain and service.
My pick would be the Ford Ranger, second the Mazda BT50, but that's just my pick, they are all quite good units. I think the oils available these days is what makes these smaller units stand up to the strain, change all the oils regularly, according to the service they've done, and they will keep on serving you well.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

BruceS wrote:Only time will tell I guess but I just can't get my head around how a 'toy' truck can last any time tugging a load around the country.
I don't fear for the engines.
I fear for clutch, transmissions and diffs.
The original intent for most 4X4's was simply to hit the 4X stick to get out of a bog, climb a sandhill or drive down a soft beach.
Using them as prime-movers tugging a load continually km after km is a different thing.
Personally from a quick look at several choices the Ford F250 etc seems to have a much heavier drive train. I may be corrected by those who have been there, done that...........

PS. Maybe shift this to "nuts & bolts" ?
Would have loved to have a F250 or a twin Turbo V8 Sahara Land Cruiser, I assume you can get some significant discount to make them cheap as!! :roll:

It gets to a stage if you can afford some of these ideal tanks then you'd probably stay in a hotel. :lol:
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.