newbie nomad

Please introduce yourself here. Tell us a little about yourself but, please, no long conversations here.
fumbduck

newbie nomad

Post by fumbduck »

Hi all,

Great to see an aussie forum on this subject.
Thanks for allowing me to join up :)
Recently bought a 1994 Toyota Coaster with the intent of decking it out myself
my first job is some fairly major rust repairs though
The windscreen has been removed (and Murphy made sure it cracked right through in the process, mind you there were some little stars/cracks already and some milky appearance at two of the corners indicating moisture ingress into the laminate layer so it wouldn't have passed for a RWC anyway) and at first I thought the rust wasn't too bad.
But after some scraping I found that someone already had a go at this (quite poorly) and the majority of the bottom sill needs to be replaced.
I'll get a sheetmetal mob to fold me up something close to the right profile and cut and weld and bog and sand until my hearts content :)
Hoping to learn some tricks here and help out if I can.
Dot

Re: newbie nomad

Post by Dot »

Welcome Fumbduck, how about some pics of your Coaster, The boys shall be around soon enough and I am sure they will be of value to you and your project. Can we call you by a name or do you want Mr Fumbduck (could get into trouble with that one) :) :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Yes! Welcome Mr Fumbduck!
I hope you got that Coaster pretty cheap because there are quite a few around that are pretty cheap in reasonable condition.
Keep us up to date with your progress.
Any ideas where you come from?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

G'day Mr Fumduck,

Welcome to the phunny pharm, now buckle up & enjoy the ride.

Love the name, can see that you'll fit in here just fine... :lol:
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Hi Mr Duck and welcome to the forum. If you really want to persevere with the Coaster you may find repair sections already available for the common rust areas, a Google search for Coaster rust repair sections may find some for you
An alternative is a replacement vehicle, Grays on line have an auction with 1 day left with quite a few coasters in the collection, just a thought. The other of course is to have a look at SuperSparkies viscous coaster that has bitten a few members here including it's owner..... there is a story that goes with that one of course, but if you do a member search you'll find Supersparkie aka David and he will spin you a sales pitch you'll find hard to refuse.

T1 Terry & Margaret
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
fumbduck

Post by fumbduck »

Dot wrote:Welcome Fumbduck, how about some pics of your Coaster, The boys shall be around soon enough and I am sure they will be of value to you and your project. Can we call you by a name or do you want Mr Fumbduck (could get into trouble with that one) :) :)
Thanks for the welcome Dot
Call me anything you like Dot ;)
Some pics
20160110_130512.jpg
20160220_100657[1].jpg
20160416_140931[1].jpg

BruceS wrote:Yes! Welcome Mr Fumbduck!
I hope you got that Coaster pretty cheap because there are quite a few around that are pretty cheap in reasonable condition.
Keep us up to date with your progress.
Any ideas where you come from?
Thanks Bruce
From what I've been looking at what has been for sale for the last few years I thought $7000 was not too bad for a '94 model
especially since it's only done 180000 k's, is already mod plated down to 5 people so can be driven on car license
maybe I exaggerated with 'fairly major rust repairs' but you have to admit the third pic is pretty ugly
there's also a spot above the grille that looks nasty and some spots where the some panels meet
from what I can gather this has been a bus that was used to transfer people from the Brisbane airport to Roma St station and vice versa
I will post some more pics soon.
"Any ideas where you come from?" pretty sure Mum's the word :D (sorry, my poor attempt at humor)
I'm just half an hour west of Brisbane (I'm a naughty boy and shall fix my profile as soon as I've finished replying)
Chuck wrote:G'day Mr Fumduck,

Welcome to the phunny pharm, now buckle up & enjoy the ride.

Love the name, can see that you'll fit in here just fine... :lol:

Thanks Chuck
Looking forward to repeat all my comments to other alzheimerers :)
sorry about the name but cupid stunt was already taken
T1 Terry wrote:Hi Mr Duck and welcome to the forum. If you really want to persevere with the Coaster you may find repair sections already available for the common rust areas, a Google search for Coaster rust repair sections may find some for you
An alternative is a replacement vehicle, Grays on line have an auction with 1 day left with quite a few coasters in the collection, just a thought. The other of course is to have a look at SuperSparkies viscous coaster that has bitten a few members here including it's owner..... there is a story that goes with that one of course, but if you do a member search you'll find Supersparkie aka David and he will spin you a sales pitch you'll find hard to refuse.

T1 Terry & Margaret
Thanks Terry and Margaret,
I've just had a quick Google but couldn't find repair sections you mentioned.
Do you have any links?
Doesn't really matter anyway as I already had a sheetmetal shop fold some sections for me.
Hoping to do some welding, grinding, bogging, sanding this long weekend.
I've got a tarp set up over the front of the bus, it feels like I'm camping already :)
I will look up SuperSparkie and have a read, thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hey Duckie, welcome back and the pics are a good start. Humour of any type is ok here. I will put that answer you gave about "where did you come from" in the old memory bank. It was a beauty :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Fumbduck good to see another Coaster on the forum, our is a 1992.
Toyota coaster motor homes on FB is a great group to join too, most are Coasties.
Shirley & Bruce.
fumbduck

Post by fumbduck »

Shirley wrote:Fumbduck good to see another Coaster on the forum, our is a 1992.
Toyota coaster motor homes on FB is a great group to join too, most are Coasties.
They might be good to join, if they let you in.
Second request sent but not sure if they're taking anymore members :cry:
Dot

Post by Dot »

You keep a knocking but you can't get in hey? wasn't there a song like that?