BBQ Table

Please add anything you've come up with to solve a problem in your outfits. eg. holder for remote!, fold up broom!, Dogbox for Hubby, etc Up to 6 images.
Greynomad

BBQ Table

Post by Greynomad »

Here's the "shamelessly pinched" idea I mentioned...
Saw it outside an unoccupied caravan in our travels and filed the idea away for later action.
The opportunity for action recently presented itself. SWMBO's chair deteriorated terminally.
Most of us have folding 'Director's Chairs' like this:
Bbq table 01.jpg
Her chair's backrest eventually tore. I jury-rigged it with cable ties until we returned home, whereupon we purchased new ones (as you can see, mine is also on its last legs). This meant I had a dead chair upon which to perform surgery. Note the backrest's uprights are separate tubes, which were easily removed by drilling out the rivets. Some chairs have integrated backrests, which would require a hacksaw to remove.
I stripped all the synthetic 'canvas' off, leaving the rubber sleeves on the armrests as a locating assist.
Bbq table 02.jpg
I then scavenged an offcut of Melamine coated particle board, and rounded the corners for both safety and ease of applying the iron-on edging, which I had left over from another job. I purchased (at vast expense to management) a card of four 25mm tool clips, which I attached -- offset a little -- to the underside. From what I could see without intruding on the caravanner's site, I think his original still had the backrest uprights in place, and used wooden slats underneath for locators.
Bbq table 03.jpg
When assembled, you can see why I offset the clips: to retain access to the fold-up side table of the original chair. A handy place for BBQ tools, plates, food before & after, etc.
Bbq table 04.jpg
The final two pics show the whole thing stowed for transport:
Bbq table 05.jpg
Bbq table 06.jpg
Total cost of project: $2.80 for tool clips. Everything else was scavenged from leftovers from past jobs.

Very good idea! Thinking I need one with wheels on for special occasions ..... (Mother's Day?)
BruceS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greynomad on Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Re: BBQ Table

Post by Dot »

Very clever Ray.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I'll second that. Very clever indeed. Idea filed away.
Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Very clever Ray, top marks for the idea steal and upgrade 8-)
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE:

“In theory, everything works.”
Anon Jr

Having travelled with this table stowed in an under-floor bin, I think I now know why the one I pinched the idea from had wooden locator strips under it.
Bouncing around under there, the table apparently lodged up against the bin door and the frame kept moving... snapping one of my tool-clips. The other clip on that end then had to contend with all the weight of the tabletop, and bent badly.
Mind you, I was finding it difficult to coordinate spreading the toolclips to get them over the chair-arms. I was already considering possible alternative methods of securing the top.
V2.0 is on the drawing board.
Watch this space........................ 🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Table location system Mk II:
(Prior to painting the battens white.)
BBQ TABLE 07.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields