A new addition to the family

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: A new addition to the family

Post by T1 Terry »

I wonder how the baits "self bury" when they are thrown out of the plane? Watched a TV doco where they were "seeding" an area to reduce the Dingo population in a National Park ...... Crows, Magpies, Hawks, Eagles and Kookaburras also eat meat and all live in the same national park area, the protesters were not too happy about the "seeding" program but forbidden to enter the "seeded" areas to count the number of other native critters had been poisoned at the same time with the reasoning that it was "too dangerous with active Dingo packs in the area" .... what about the baits, should they have culled the Dingo problem? :roll:
Without the Dingoes the kangaroo and goat problems raise their heads as well as the feral cat and fox problems, they all balance out if humans stop interfering and put up dog proof fences if they have a wild dog problem ......

Remember watching another doco where the son had taken over the running of the property and was attempting to allow it to regenerate with native grasses. He had a serious kangaroo problem that culling couldn't control. The neighbours were praising his work with rejuvenating the property but up in arms about him not poisoning the dog problem that he was using to control the kangaroo problem .... so he was forced to build his own dog fences to keep them within his property ...... crazy hey ...... If you want to make money from breeding cattle then spend the $$ and build proper fences to protect them ... or put up with a few losses, depends how the $$ balance out

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

For a start the Dingo is not a wild dog, it is a real breed. Wild dogs are retarded humans dumping them and not desexing their dogs (and cats) The aboriginal communities and their camp dogs also are to blame for the amount of dogs that go wild. No matter the use of 1080 is not a humane way to kill anything.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Dot wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:29 pmWild dogs are retarded humans dumping them and not desexing their dogs (and cats)
What Dot has written is quite correct, but I'd like to point out there is another source of trouble some may not be aware of.
There is also a big problem in some areas with pet dogs roaming free.
This was most evident in Toolleen VIC where I purchased my first rural property and we were warned about it by neighbours when we first moved in.
Every single night we could either see or hear them.

The problem comes from people letting their dogs out at night as they go to bed. Mostly, ex-Melbourne people who think that being in the country means they can do things they would never have dreamed of back in the suburbs.

Those, mostly mild, well mannered and friendly pet dogs get together and form packs. The pack mentality takes over and they go hunting. Mostly sheep where I was. They do a hell of a lot of damage and when in a pack they are no longer the loving pet they are during the day. Don't even think about approaching them. Come morning, they head back home and the owners are none the wiser of the havock sweet little Rover or Spot has caused.

There are two very simple rules for all pet owners to remember. ALL dogs and cats MUST be contained within your property 24/7. End of story. A good fence will do the trick with dogs. Cats of course are almost impossible to keep contained in a yard unless using an enclosure or a park like Terry has built. (Well, we've been told he's built one. No pics yet to prove that :D ) Or, just keep them inside. Cat DO NOT have to be allowed out. They are perfectly happy inside with you, unless you allow them to get a taste of wandering free.

And for heavens sake, get the damned things desexed while young. There's a common old wives tale that you should allow them to have one litter. It calms them down. What a load of rot.
If these two things were universally done there would be zero harm to the environment by any dog or cat. so please people, stop blaming the animals and jump on their owners instead.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
homeless

Post by homeless »

In many of the farming rural areas any dog or cat seen on farming land was shot on sight. If any tags were present then the owner was find and responsible for the cost of damage. One friend sin had a LOVERLY husky, their pride and joy till they got a visit from the police with their dog shot by a farmer. Owner was fined and got a massive bill to replace all the stock killed or mained. Amounted to a few thousands dollars. If this was followed more and pet owners had their hip pocket hit more they may take better control. When young I shot rabbits most weekends we were instructed to shoot ANY dog or cat seen. Farmers dogs are usually always either chained or penned when not working
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

so please people, stop blaming the animals and jump on their owners instead.
HEAR! HEAR!

When we moved, our Beagle became unsettled, and dug his way out three times (different fence weak-spots, now fixed).
We had to add a low strand, 6" off the ground, to the previous owner's electric fence (which was installed at the insistence of neighbouring golf club, as their dogs had jumped the fence & bailed up some lady golfers). :shock:
The low strand only had to 'remind' him twice. Never went within 6ft of the fence after that. Electric fence is still in place, but don't need to turn it on any more.
As noted by Brian, we were also warned when we transferred dog registrations. Farmers in our shire have the right to shoot any dog straying onto their property -- whether they are annoying/harassing stock or not!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Post by Dot »

Made me think if "farmers" can shoot a dog or cat on their property then why not humans that steal their stock? Once again animals have no idea they are trespassing, humans do. (well some do) Time to give my pussy a hug. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Need help there, Dottie? 😜
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

By the sound of it more like a Snap Dragon, may just need a good patting Dot. Cheers
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

RobertNotBob wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:18 am By the sound of it more like a Snap Dragon, may just need a good patting Dot. Cheers
Or the Tarzan bee test ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO