New Thread... Recipes mostly for crap cooks

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Dot

Re: New Thread... Recipes mostly for crap cooks

Post by Dot »

Thanks Jon, I recently tried a stew using some rump steak (it was as tough as old boots) after all night on low. Someone said I should of sealed the meat first. ? Looking back mum never did that stuff, just chucked everything in a big pot I think. :lol: I also love adding some dumplings in.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Dot,

Long slow cook with out boiling and it should just fall off. I think that should work, However, I'm more of a lasagna expert.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Hahahaha.
Bernie.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

You lost me with the "pour in stock" bit.................
If I round up some sheep & cows (stock) I'm not sure if I'll be able to pour them in .................
As far as the slow cooker ........... yes there was one here but I threw it out. New fangled thing that my dear departed Mum never used!!
Well I tell a lie! It is now up at Wendy's daughters place in Nebo, Qld.
I would have never used it. It isn't me. I used to hate the taste of chicken & meat out of it anyway!
I think it was more of an air fryer thing? Could make cakes & stuff in it. Terry> What was that 'thing'?
I've got a big roasting dish that I can put in the oven!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Dot, Derek & Maggie Bullock, The Hooker & The Cook with Penny & Daisy, Derek posts great recipes & easy to prepare when traveling.👌
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Jon,

Sounds suspiciously like my/SWMBO's crockpot recipe from years gone by (when Son-&-Heir was in high school) for Irish Stew.
'Cept I used lamb chops... :D

ps. I would contribute to this thread, except I've semi-mastered the operation of the Sous Chef (Thermomix) now, and I'm turning into a half-decent cook :D ... provided I either follow the computer's recipes exactly or SWMBO's modifications to same.
:?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:00 pm You lost me with the "pour in stock" bit.................
If I round up some sheep & cows (stock) I'm not sure if I'll be able to pour them in .................
As far as the slow cooker ........... yes there was one here but I threw it out. New fangled thing that my dear departed Mum never used!!
Well I tell a lie! It is now up at Wendy's daughters place in Nebo, Qld.
I would have never used it. It isn't me. I used to hate the taste of chicken & meat out of it anyway!
I think it was more of an air fryer thing? Could make cakes & stuff in it. Terry> What was that 'thing'?
I've got a big roasting dish that I can put in the oven!!
I guess you mean the halogen bulb fan forced cooker.
If you want to slow cook the chops in the baking dish in the oven, either make up some gravy or buy a ready made gravy, pour it over the chops, add carrot, potato, celery and all those vegetables you don't eat, so that won't happen :lol: cut up an onion and add that to the gravy, put a lid on so it doesn't steam dry and set the oven to 120* to 160*, depends on the oven and how slow you want it to cook, the slower the better the taste and the softer the meat will be. Every 30 min, take it out the oven, spoon the gravy over any exposed bits or just turn it over so the exposed bits are now soaking in the gravy.
Cook some frozen peas if you eat them to go with the chops, put the peas on about 15 mins before you are ready to eat ...... or half a cup of frozen peas per person, a slab of butter all in a bowl, in the microwave for 3 mins, stir them (not p*ss them off so careful what you say) in for another 3 mins, dish it all up or throw the peas in with the stuff in the bowl out of the oven and eat it direct from there .... less washing up ;)
If that doesn't work, on the scooter to the fish and chip shop to get a feed :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Come on you lot there must be more recipes / hints for a stew.... ;)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
DerekBullock

Post by DerekBullock »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:29 pm Dot, Derek & Maggie Bullock, The Hooker & The Cook with Penny & Daisy, Derek posts great recipes & easy to prepare when traveling.👌
We try. :D
DerekBullock

Post by DerekBullock »

Dot wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:51 am Come on you lot there must be more recipes / hints for a stew.... ;)
Yesterday was St Pats Day which I completely forgot about so going to cook up an Irish Guinness Stew today together with a Soda Bread (Similar to Damper).

If I remember will post up the recipe. I’ll be using beef though instead of the traditional mutton.