Best tribute to QE2

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Newcastle George

Re: Best tribute to QE2

Post by Newcastle George »

Terry, I think some of your posts have been as bad as those you are complaining about. :?

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I hope Terry that you didn't think my post racial, I was only stating a fact, I am definitely not racist to anyone, Aboriginal or any other Nationality that now make up our great country as I have posted before we are a multi cultural family & this is a very multi cultural country that we call home.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Terry,
I was just asking if the Aboriginal agitators would accept equal reciprocal attitudes towards them, as they showed to us whitefellas.
Would they calmly accept without protest a bunch of white people waving anti-black placards at one of their mourning ceremonies?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
I accept that I am now classed as a sh*tte stirrer by T-1 for expressing my displeasure, and I hereby "pull m y head in".
I am not a racist and I would have made the same remarks if those of the Japan race paraded Cherry Blossem, or the Chinese preceded the GovGeneral with rattling Chop Sticks.

If any of the 184 "Other Races" that form our present population were crass enough to carry out the same action at a Memorial/Funeral Service, I would presume that I was free to express the same displeasure without being censored.

IT IS NOW 2 WEEKS SINCE MAJOR WAS PUT DOWN, and I still grieve his passing.
Keith. "T.S.S."

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:52 pm Today’s protest by aboriginals on the official day of mourning for QEII was wrong on many fronts. Great disrespect for a deceased person.
I don't condone the protests on such a special day in any way, that was just simply wrong.
When they do protest in a respectful manner, I can understand where they are coming from in regards to being walked on and ignored in the past and to a degree even very recently with a mining mob thinking it was ok to blow up a burial ground because they wanted the ore it contained .....
They blame her for colonialism, genocide and whatever else they could think of.
They claim we can’t show pictures of, or mention the names of, deceased aboriginals out of respect for the dead. But it’s OK if they show images & name deceased relatives when protesting.
Double standard.
If they think it’s OK to blame the late Queen for the sins of her forbears of 200 years ago, would the protesters be OK with being arrested for the murder of farmers in the 1800s?
But then you'd have arrest the farmers descendants who'd murdered aboriginals, fenced off their land with out any sort of agreements or compensation believing they had a god given right because they were white?

As for complaining about the token of respect to the original owners of the land were the ceremony or broadcast is being based from, these same people who were never asked if the white fellas could move in ... our even asked to share the land, just hunted off and shoot if they resisted ....... really ....... you don't consider that being a type of racism?

I think a lot of Aussies should be thankful they live here and not one of the African nations, the original inhabitants there took "getting even" a tad more serious .......

Can you imagine the British pulling the same act these days, the world would have armed to original inhabitants so they could fight on an even footing, all the British colonies, that would have been a massacre, the locals would have better knowledge of the terrain and simply slaughtered the invaders ....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Keith Morris wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:10 pm "tanks" here---
I accept that I am now classed as a sh*tte stirrer by T-1 for expressing my displeasure, and I hereby "pull m y head in".
I am not a racist and I would have made the same remarks if those of the Japan race paraded Cherry Blossem, or the Chinese preceded the GovGeneral with rattling Chop Sticks.

If any of the 184 "Other Races" that form our present population were crass enough to carry out the same action at a Memorial/Funeral Service, I would presume that I was free to express the same displeasure without being censored.

IT IS NOW 2 WEEKS SINCE MAJOR WAS PUT DOWN, and I still grieve his passing.
Keith. "T.S.S."
And I agree Tanks, the action was very poorly timed and showed total disrespect, not a good way to try and gain the respect they are asking for ...... so you have to ask, just who was really behind the protest, the full support of the aboriginal community as a whole? or some radical miscreants that were hell bent on stirring up trouble and possibly damaging the future prospects of any sort of reconciliation in the future .... there are a lot of big $$ interests who would stand to loose a lot if such a thing was to happen ......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
I recommend you visit your local library and request a book titled “1788”, edited by Tim Flannery.
It’s a republished combination of the two books written by Watkin Tench, one of the junior officers who arrived in the First Fleet.
He explains that their commission was to establish friendly relations with the natives and seek their cooperation in establishing a settlement.
He goes into great first-person details of the good relationship established. It was only after some ignorant farmers shot a couple of aborigines, not understanding their communal attitudes towards property and animals that the attacks (on both sides) began.
Governor Philip’s attitude on reprisal didn’t help. And the legally convenient ‘Terra Nullius’ was a later London construct. Clearly the initial commission was conveniently forgotten.
Nevertheless, I find it ludicrous in the extreme to describe a couple of hundred starving convicts and 20-odd soldiers armed only with muskets as an “invasion force”.
Had it not been for the help of friendly aborigines, the hostile natives would have wiped out the fledgling colony.
BTW, Tench also clearly states that the First Fleet began arriving on 17th January and took three days. January 26th was the date the campsite was moved from Botany Bay to Jackson Cove (later renamed Sydney Harbour).
So when should we celebrate Australia Day?
Two years ago Stan Grant famously wrote in a Newspaper opinion piece that he “… spent the night of the 25th January with my people contemplating the arrival next day of the invading force”. :roll:
I did write to him (with copies of the relevant pages) correcting his temporal and terminological inexactitudes.
I’m still waiting for a response.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
The British didn’t invent colonialism.
The Romans did it to most of Europe (including Britain), the Gauls did it back to the Romans, the Portuguese did it to Indonesia, multiple nations did it to various bits of Africa, Germany tried to copy the Romans, we did it to P-NG (as deputies for Britain), and Putin is currently doing it to the Ukraine.
It’s just history.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Agree Ray, history time to live for today & the future, one wonders what our country will be like in another 100 years & what claims will be made about the time past. :?
Shirley & Bruce.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

The most ignored piece of history is that the Australian Mainland was never declared Terra Nullis until 20 plus years after the original settlement.
The original declaration was Usufruct, which comes from Latin

usufruct [ˈjuːzjʊfrʌkt] NOUN law: the right to enjoy the use and advantages of another’s property short of the destruction or waste of its substance.

ORIGIN, early 17th century: from medieval Latin usufructus, from Latin usus (et) fructus ‘use (and) enjoyment’, from usus ‘a use’ + fructus ‘fruit’.

Then as none of the 350 aboriginal tribes laid titular claim to the land at the time of British settlement I can't see how we can give them title to areas, as they never owned it in the first place, agreed they did have rights to live and hunt over areas, but any sort of title has never been found.
(Usufruct in application ! )

As any legal representative will say to you "The law is an ass " and this conundrum only proves it to me.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.