River level at Loxton

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
jon_d

Re: River level at Loxton

Post by jon_d »

Dot, it you're talking about a BlazeAid camp, they only focus on farmers and generally fencing.

https://blazeaid.com.au/
Welcome to BlazeAid – a volunteer-based organisation that works with families and individuals in rural Australia after natural disasters such as fires and floods. Working alongside the rural families, our volunteers help to rebuild fences and other structures that have been damaged or destroyed.

Equally important, volunteers also help to lift the spirits of people who are often facing their second or third flood event after years of drought, or devastating losses through bushfires. BlazeAid volunteers work in a disaster-affected area for many months, not only helping individuals and families, but also helping rebuild the local communities.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:47 pm What areas are we talking about for the clean up? inside houses or bigger areas like streets? Would those street cleaning trucks be of benefit? the trucks that sweep and suck type? gunna be a big big messy job for sure.
I guess they will handle the main street or even the whole towns streets in Mannum itself, but the roads around Mannum that feed in and out of Mannum, Walker Flat, Purnong, Swan Reach, even the other side of the river, there are a lot of small townships and just shack roads that will be covered in mud etc. Just too much work for a street sweeper truck and Mannum itself is the only town in the whole council area that has a street sweeper. As it is, that truck works 5 days a week just sweeping the main roads around Mannum, it would be a huge job just trying to clean up the Mannum roads that will be affected.
When we have a big rain event, the graders and bucket loaders are busy for a day or two moving all the dirt that washed over the roads, getting 3 to 4 mths of mud off the roads will be a huge job.
The houses and the drowned furniture clean up will be a monster job, Mannum doesn't actually have a rubbish dump, just a refuse collection centre, I think it all goes to Murray Bridge, I'd imagine all the other towns within the council area are the same, that will take a lot of truck loads and a lot of rubbish to pile up some where ..... then there is all the mud, the levee banks ...... I think the clean up could still be going in June or July next yr.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

A river level report, the pipe that goes under the road to carry the river pump water hoses for our place and next door started to disappear under water last night, it is under water this morning .... that means water is now flowing into the area where the pipes are buried under our driveway and run in both directions, I think the telephone cables run in the same area ..... I driveway could end up getting under mined or the road itself .... hadn't thought about that until now :roll: We might loose our road or just I driveway before the river ever reaches road height ...... :D is about all we can do about it :lol: That back track route might come into play a lot earlier than expected .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Sooooo...... does that mean you can now move the tank pump to your side?
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

jon_d wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:02 pm Sooooo...... does that mean you can now move the tank pump to your side?
:lol: I did try the 240v house mounted pump yesterday. Tried to prime it from the river water tank and ..... remembered I taken the foot valve off the river pipe to put the submersible pump on .... so all the water I put into the house pump to prime it simply flowed out to the river ..... now I'll have first find where I put the foot valve ...... hopefully not with the inverter, battery, solar regulator and solar panels, because they are a few mtrs under water now ...... then paddle out in the boat, find the end of the pipe, which is now at least 6 mtrs down, put the foot valve and a float on the end and try again :roll:

It should be able to pull the water up the remaining 2 mtrs, anywhere where there were air leaks should now be under water :lol:

T1 Terry
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

Interesting photo of Renmark from Facebook.
320944805_464220555876766_8914400088731346684_n.jpg
Cheers John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Thought I'd be clever last night and put the foot valve straight on the end of the pipe where it goes under the road ...... shoved a whole heap of the big rocks, I showed in a previous photo, over towards the pipe to build a platform, shovelled dirt and small rocks on top to make a spot to stand, tested the depth at the end of the pipe with the shovel .... reached the handle and still hadn't touched the bottom ..... no point in getting more rocks or dirt to stand on, it's the boat or nothing :lol:

T1 Terry
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Riverlander wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:14 am Interesting photo of Renmark from Facebook.320944805_464220555876766_8914400088731346684_n.jpgCheers John
Can you mark where the Paringa Bridge is in that photo please John? That way I can get some sort of bearing on where is flooded and the bits that aren't ......

T1 Terry
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

The Paringa bridge further out on the left of the photo. The road and the old railway line that is now a bike track to it is on that narrow piece of land as is both caravan parks. Went through there a couple of days ago and the water is up to the road embankment on both sides. Cheers
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Found this You Tube video from 2 days ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evRnshuk-6E Lock 5 is at Paringa, here you can see it is still rising very slowly http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDS60253/IDS6 ... .plt.shtml
It's rising so slow because of the area it covers now and each levee bank that fails slows the rise creep until that area is full of water.

T1 Terry