Ford, Holden or VW ??

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
supersparky

Re: Ford, Holden or VW ??

Post by supersparky »

I thought a Tesla model S with upgrade runs through in 10's anyway, so I really couldn't figure out all the hoohah.
But I do struggle with some of the accents.
Fluff = all the Guy Martin stuff that comes up nearly every episode.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Tesla model S with upgrade runs through in 10's anyway,
Mini wheels. :?
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:24 am I thought a Tesla model S with upgrade runs through in 10's anyway, so I really couldn't figure out all the hoohah.
But I do struggle with some of the accents.
Fluff = all the Guy Martin stuff that comes up nearly every episode.
Fluff = Guy Martin :shock: I would never have guessed ...... but each to their own I suppose
The Tesla model that gets the good 1/4 mile times are twin motor 4 wheel traction control type anti spin set ups, rear wheel drive single motor with the anti spin shut off just go sideways rather than forward with big clouds of tyre smoke .... you'd swear they were using a line locker so they could hold the front brakes on, but apparently that isn't the case, just so much torque trying to move that much weight and the resulting loss of traction gives amazing burn out performances :lol:

For quite a while you couldn't use the Tesla motors and inverters (the VFD is in the round bit on the other side of the diff housing, motor one side and VFD the other side to keep the cables short. Someone finally built an off the shelf replacement for the factory controlled VFD and now Tesla motors are appearing in everything. They do get a bay window Kombi up and dancing .... as in wheels up showing all it's undies :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Found it ... not bad for a smart arse sheila I spose ... :roll:

https://www.google.com/search?q=beetle+ ... zB1Vc1h-Tc

vik... :ugeek:
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I can't find it at the moment, but the cartoon shows someone standing before St Peter expecting to pass through the pearly gates. An outraged St Peter splutters "It says here you put a Subaru engine in a Volkwagen, you are going straight to hell" :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

I think that's the same bird in the Guy Martin show. It's kind of a shame that none of them bozo's know how to tune a VFD. It would be fun just having a play and seeing how you could get the times down. Don Garlits had a rail doing almost 200mph nearly 10 year ago FFS. It's not that much different. I know a few of the ol' skool boys are more than a bit impressed with some of the times that EV's do. But they don't sound right is often the comment.
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I was.... sorry😁 we was at Castlereagh dragway back in the 70s when the first rail hit 200 miles per hour. In Australia.
Bernie.
Just outside Penrith NSW for you southerners 😁
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Bernie, was that Ash Marshall in the Soapy Sales rail. He was an honourary member of the Hot Rod club that I was involved with back in the 70's. From memory, that racecar was funded by a pyramid selling scheme that burned a lot of people.
The EV cars will get there, just need to develop the technology a bit more. I'm sure that we will see it from above the grass. :D
Cheers
David

2006 Winnebago Alpine
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I remember the name of Ash Marshall Dave, but memory of the driver on the day has dimmed.
Bernie.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

supersparky wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:51 pm Bernie, was that Ash Marshall in the Soapy Sales rail. He was an honourary member of the Hot Rod club that I was involved with back in the 70's. From memory, that racecar was funded by a pyramid selling scheme that burned a lot of people.
The EV cars will get there, just need to develop the technology a bit more. I'm sure that we will see it from above the grass. :D
Sponsorship money will have to change big time. The money is there for over driven superchargers, each engine manufacturer has $$ for their engine powering the the top qualifier and placings in the semi final and final as well as outright win money. The fuel mobs have prize money for using their fuel and the stickers on the vehicle and all the engine accessory mobs have similar deals ..... all this on top of the actual race prize money ..... you may have noticed there are no turbo chargers or electric drives mentioned in there ..... An electric rail could outperform a top fuel rail simply because they don't have to tune in clutch slip/lock up points, the torque is instant, the fuel doesn't melt the tips off the spark plugs by the 60ft marker so if the flame goes out there is no hydraulic lock, they don't need to over fuel to provide cooling nor do they have to rebuild the engine after each run. They could build battery trays all the way along the rail to stiffen it up and transfer the weight forward if needed, multiple motors on a single drive shaft to each wheel, so no diff, clutch, flywheel or monster engine weight ..... but it wouldn't rupture your eardrums as it launches, or feel like someone kicked you in the chest, and none of that spectacular blue VW sign at night on a side by side pass ..... it's the sceptical of the whole thing that brings in the crowds and the $$, not the acceleration being faster than a space shuttle launch or the terminal speed being faster than a jet fighter with full after burners screaming at the end of the 1/4 mile, it's the noise, the sight and the pressure wave that sells .....

Anywhere out right speed point to point or from the standing start to the end where time means $$ prize money, electric already hold all those records .....

T1 Terry