Grid power charges

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Grid power charges

Post by T1 Terry »

wayno wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:56 pm At the end of the day, you get what you vote for.
I am looking forward to the day when their power is browned out due lack of supply and affects our greens.
Only then will these Green beholding people see some sense.
Victoria is already a basket case and the rest will follow if we race down this path.
We all fear death, but where we are heading, I am starting to look forward to it.

Wayno :(
Your glass isn't half full Wayno, it sounds like it's empty and you can't find the corkscrew to open another bottle ;) :lol:
We already have the technology to generate more power than each residence needs in any given area, why not put all that wasted money into a big storage battery and charge it from all the rooftop solar, then sell the excess to the grid at the same price as the grid generators do ....
Why are we expected to accept a few cents for the power when the power network wants it, then sell it back to us at an incredibly inflated price ...... I don't think that is in the people's best interest, just the power companies interest .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,

I'm surprised.

It's called the "Free Enterprise" system. Except nothing is free. :?

Have we not beeen bombarded FOR THE LAST 20-OR-SO YEARS with the mantra that "Free Enterprise can do it better, faster and cheaper than any gummint can."?

Of course you have to believe it. A politician said it!

:roll:

nb. Both sides are guilty of spreading this one! :evil:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:31 am T1,

I'm surprised.

It's called the "Free Enterprise" system. Except nothing is free. :?

Have we not beeen bombarded FOR THE LAST 20-OR-SO YEARS with the mantra that "Free Enterprise can do it better, faster and cheaper than any gummint can."?

Of course you have to believe it. A politician said it!

nb. Both sides are guilty of spreading this one! :evil:
Only the politicians who support the "free enterprise" people and want to sell off major assets the tax payer had to establish by paying back the loans to finance something "free enterprise" would never have put the money up for because there was no short term gains. The public system should be happy if it can get the major public infrastructure to at least break even, private enterprise must make a profit, so how could they do it cheaper?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Wrong Terry .... so wrong!
I could list so many things that were paid for & built by particular sections of the community or interested groups that the Gov took over & then sold to private enterprises for obscene amounts to then just use the windfall to turn over to Gov workers in the form of a multitude of "gifts".
Super
Holiday pay
Bereavement leave
maternity leave
etc etc
In anyone else's language it'd be called raped.
Time to take the blinkers off!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:39 am Wrong Terry .... so wrong!
I could list so many things that were paid for & built by particular sections of the community or interested groups that the Gov took over & then sold to private enterprises for obscene amounts to then just use the windfall to turn over to Gov workers in the form of a multitude of "gifts".
Super
Holiday pay
Bereavement leave
maternity leave
etc etc
In anyone else's language it'd be called raped.
Time to take the blinkers off!
I'm happy to be corrected, can you give us a few examples Bruce?

T1 Terry
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

CBH
Qantas
State Bank SA
CBA
SA Water
ETSA
SAFCOL
SA Highways Dept
PMG
Telecom
Multitude of Community Hospitals. (most called Soldier's Memorial Hospitals)
AQIS
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

The PMG started as a national dept in 1901 at federation, it took over the state run telephone networks. There were a few privately owned telephone exchanges, but they used the state govt owned telegraph cables, so they were not actually a telephone system, more just a connection service. If it wasn't for the South Australian colony putting up the money, the telegraph link between Darwin and Adelaide, where was the money going to come from? Can you imagine an individual or group of individuals putting the money up with no guarantee it would even work, then become profitable?

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Add to Bruce's list:

Victoria's SEC, Gas & Fuel Corporation, State Bank, Police speed camera system, building inspectors…
EDIT: Forgot to add the entire public transport system in Melbourne — rail and trams!

The public system should be happy if it can get the major public infrastructure to at least break even, private enterprise must make a profit, so how could they do it cheaper?
Precisely my point, T1!

Jeff Kennet told us everything govt did could be done better, faster & cheaper by privatising everything in sight. Hasn't worked.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:26 am Add to Bruce's list:

Victoria's SEC, Gas & Fuel Corporation, State Bank, Police speed camera system, building inspectors…
EDIT: Forgot to add the entire public transport system in Melbourne — rail and trams!

The public system should be happy if it can get the major public infrastructure to at least break even, private enterprise must make a profit, so how could they do it cheaper?
Precisely my point, T1!

Jeff Kennet told us everything govt did could be done better, faster & cheaper by privatising everything in sight. Hasn't worked.
But they were not privately owned, then taken over by the govt and then sold at a profit .... actually, I don't think any govt dept sold to a private consortium has ever been for a profit, a cash grab is not a profit if it doesn't cover all the tax payer money that had been poured into it to get it to the stage a private mob thought they could turn a profit from it ....

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Picky, picky!! :roll:

They were still gummint entities sold to private enterprise because they do stuff "better, faster & cheaper"…
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields