4 Season hatch leaking!!!

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Chuck

4 Season hatch leaking!!!

Post by Chuck »

BUGGA!!!

When we picked up the van it was from a locked yard beside a van repair yard in Sale & the owner of the business told us he had replaced the hatch under warranty.

OK, I can live with that.

Couple of weeks later I gave the van a good clean outside & hosed off some fallen twigs from the roof compliments of a nearby tree. I don't recall being forceful with the hose around the 4 seasons hatch at the time. Couple of days later it rained, not heavy, but for a few hours & later in the day - after it had stopped - we noticed water dripping from the internal leading edge of the hatch. Buckets placed to collect the water which, over a period of a couple of hours amounted to about 500 - 600ml.

Since that first leak we've had a few wet days - some fairly lengthy - & then of course the big one compliments of that storm that hit Qld... none of them caused any leaks so we were thinking it might have been a once only.

Checking the roof area did not present any obvious faults & it was obvious that the hatch & the sealing around it was fairly new... dollops of sealant covering the bolts holding it in place... but not around the entire lip area - should there be?

Edit: Just checked the hatch area again & it is sealed all around! :roll:

The roof area around the hatch is depressed slightly causing water to pool around it - possibly caused when installing the new hatch? A contributing factor?

I did contact the insurance company & they suggested I contact the mob - in Sale - that installed the new hatch. They're over there & we're here!!!

Yesterday we had rain nearly all day & night... nothing really heavy, just constant & this morning just as I woke up... it started leaking again.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Guest on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: 4 Season hatch leaking!!!

Post by T1 Terry »

A call to Barry (Cabcar on the caravanner forum) will tell you just where the leak is likely to be. it sounds like the leak is elsewhere and running along the roof lining and coming out at the edge of the hatch, not actually leaking at the hatch at all.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Chuck

Re: 4 Season hatch leaking!!!

Post by Chuck »

Ahaa... thinking outside the square - thanks Terry will try over there.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.