Rear vision cameras/monitor.

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Chuck

Re: Rear vision cameras/monitor.

Post by Chuck »

Sorry George, I obviously didn't explain my requirements very well.

I want to be able to choose either the tug or van camera to display on the monitor.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

And you can do that, as the two cameras are separately wired so they can be separated and you can make a 2nd bracket.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Swisslulu wrote:Chuck, I think you've seen a pic of the one we got from Safety Dave, haven't you?

Cheers
Lesley
Sorry Lesley, been looking at so many things this past week, can't recall.

Went around to our local autosparky - this bloke has an excellent reputation among the locals - & had a chat with him, primarily as he is listed as an agent on the Polaris web site. Found out that he also sells folding 120w solar panels & does the wiring/fitting of additional batteries/boxes for tugs. By the time we left him we realised that we'd need to prioritise between rear vision/folding solar panels & battery/UHF.

So, whilst the rear vision is right up there on the to do list , the Clearview mirrors on the Cruiser are a definite improvement over the standard, so it might just have to wait a little while.

The 40L Engel & slide will be in the back of the Cruiser - keeping the beer cold will be a priority - it also gets used to cool the meat & veg before going in the fridge. Thinking of using Anderson plugs to enable the panel to connect with the van for additional download if required. Pretty sure BB has this system.

Without question, UHF is essential for us travellers so will get a GME remote head unit installed after the ARB suspension update & bull bar fitting later this month ... similar to the unit in the previous 100 Cruiser.

That lot should just about ensure we'll be on minimal rations for a while! :o :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
erichaussie

Post by erichaussie »

Hi Chuck, we decided against the polaris set up for a variety of reasons.
- you can not use GPS and rear view camera at the same time
- the power to the cameras needs to be wired separately from the video feed. They recommend wiring to the reversing lights. Of course we don't use the rearview on the caravan for reversing only, it is more to see what is behind us when towing.
- not sure how you would wire the rear view camera on the caravan so that it could be switched on when needed.

We found safety dave website's videos http://safetydave.com.au/reversing-came ... eo-guides/ were very useful in learning about the various types of cameras/systems.

Especially if you already have a GPS, you probably should look at a dedicated system that will end up costing considerably less than the polaris combined systems. We paid $400 for the cameras, cables, connector between car and van as well as a big screen. The install was $300 by a local installer recommended by Safety Dave.

I was first put off Savety Dave as they don't give prices on the website. When talking to them in person it became clear that they tailor a system for your exact needs and therefore don't have standard packages.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks for the info Erich.

Our Cruiser doesn't have the screen in the dash with GPS etc - have a separate plug in type GPS - so that's one issue we don't have to worry about.

Like you, we also want the rear vision on whilst driving - therefore will need the ability to select the tug camera or the van camera, as required. But, as I mentioned earlier, this will now have to wait for a couple of months for the $$$ kitty to restock as am giving priority to the ARB suspension & fridge slide, 120W portable solar panel/kit/battery/fitting, & finally the GME UHF.

Will have a chat with you at Little Annie & check out your system, along with the new batteries... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I have my camera/monitor wired through a relay connected to the accessory side of the 'key'.
In fact I have quite a few connected that way through several relays as my unit is 24V. Radio, 2-way UHF, Reverse monitor, GPS.
I have a 24V to 12V converter feeding the relays-to-gadgets. So my camera works anytime my key is 'on'.
My Polaris monitor has 2 inlets with a button to switch cam1 or cam2.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

When we decided to go for the camera/monitor we were trying to recall if our previous Cruiser 100 had a camera for hitching... buggered if we can remember.

Definitely recall that the system was Polaris & that the monitor had similar buttons to select cam1 or 2 but don't recall actually pressing them so inclined to think that we just had the camera on the van.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I need to apologise for incorrect info.
My camera/monitor is a Gator made by www.aerpro.com
Model RVC7WD
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

... accepted... :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
nedskelly

Post by nedskelly »

BrashImports on Ebay have a good range, I got mine from there. They work well only complaint is the traffic behind looks further back than it actually is.
Regards
Gary
Gary,Trish & Pepper
"We're out there in The Longyard"