"tanks" and the IVECO-TANK

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Keith Morris

"tanks" and the IVECO-TANK

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here, UPDATE --THE IVECO-TANK.

I have just removed the cargo barrier and the twin front passenger seat from the Iveco, so I now have a Walk-Through van.
"Russell" thinks it's great and has spent the morning going from front to back. I now have to construct a platform for him so as he can see the road and look out of the window. I will carpet his platform so as he does not skid all over the place when I go around corners or brake.
Does anybody know what to do with a Cargo Barrier for an Iveco ?.
I have thoughts of using it for the rear wall of the shower and toilet complex at the back of the van. The barrier is the right height and width, but I will have to wait 'till the bloke up the road comes up to have a beer before a test-run, mainly because it is a bit heavy and awkward for me to lift into place on my own.
I have the walls insulated and can't do very much more till I insulate the roof/ceiling (another 550 km round trip to Bunnings next Pension day).
I am in Hospital for 3 days early in March so I can't visualise a lot of progress for a few weeks. NORMAN is far more advanced with his conversion/build than me.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Re: "tanks" and the IVECO-TANK

Post by Dot »

Hi Keith, how about a few pics.. What seat did you replace the 2 seater with? We are currently looking for water tank for the Sheep pen :roll: boy they are $$$..
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here, Hi Dot, I have not got that far. I am open as to what seat I will get to replace the twin pasenger seat. It will be a single person seat and I would prefer one with arm rests that fold down for the comfort of the passenger. Whichever way I go I will have to build a flat platform for "Russell" to sit/stand on as he will be in the passenger seat most of the time, unless I can find a travel companion, then "Russell" can travel in the back or sit on the passengers lap.
PLEASE NOTE:- Applications are open --must be over 70 years, have teeth, own phone and money, able to cook, wash the dishes, iron the clothes, and clean the Iveco). :roll: ( I don't think many will apply so "Russell" is listed for the front seat).
I know what you mean when you reflect on the price of t hings for the conversion; I was quoted up to $ 1,500.00 for the toilet; that is $ 700 ++ for a Thetford toilet, and the tradesman wants another $ 600.00 or so to fit it into the van. The shower cubicle quote put me in shock when they were talking around $ 4,500.00 ++ with freight plus fitting to make a figure well out of my budget. Out where I live you can buy a going car for around $ 200.
I will get around to the photos Dot, not today but when I'm feeling a little more active.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Russell deserves the front seat Keith, but please put a harness on him and make sure he is fastened to the seatbelt clasp, have seen some nasty results with unrestrained dogs in a prang and even from a quick stop... I have one of those seat belt clasps for dogs if you want it. :D :D You should have been over here could have done 2 vans at once :lol: :lol: Take it easy Keith. :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Dot wrote:Russell deserves the front seat Keith, but please put a harness on him and make sure he is fastened to the seatbelt clasp, have seen some nasty results with unrestrained dogs in a prang and even from a quick stop... I have one of those seat belt clasps for dogs if you want it. :D :D You should have been over here could have done 2 vans at once :lol: :lol: Take it easy Keith. :D
Thanks Dot, I have one of the seat belt harness things for my mate. I can also hook him up down the back of the Sprinter, when I am having a quick nap with the sliding door open.

Dot

Post by Dot »

You are a champion Keith, one who loves his dog.. :D xx
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here--- UPDATE ON THE IVECO BUILD.
I have installed a rear view camera on the Sprinter. What a job crawling underneath the Sprinter van to route the cable from the camera to the 7 inch monitor, which is part of the windscreen mounted rear view mirror. It took me most of the day with several rest periods for a cuppa. It was difficult for me working upside down on the flat of my back underneath the van as I'm not used to being flat on my back with only a few inches clearance to do my thing. The camera works well and gives a clear image in daylight. I now have to have a test run at night and try out the infrared part of it.
I had to mount the camera where the number plate is fitted as the cable was not long enough to mount the camera on the top of the van. I put a switch in-line so as I could turn the unit off if a following car headlights were a distraction at night.

Now to install one on the IVECO as part of the conversion. I considered a wireless model to save running the camera cable from the back of the van to the windscreen rear view mirror, but after Forum Members remarks about interference I will go for the cable connection type.

Wonderful e-Bay. I found CAR REAR VIEW KIT with 2 X I/R REVERSE CAMERAS plus a 7" LCD monitor unit for car, bus, truck, with a 10 metre cable. It cost me $ 78.00 free postage from Sydney. I think the twin camera unit will be better than just one camera, and will give a better view of what is behind me, both at the rear bumper area, and further down the road behind me. The 10 metre cable will allow me to mount the cameras up on top of the van for a better view of following traffic.

Now the toilet saga. I like the unit NORMAN has installed in his build (it is the same as I have in the Sprinter) but the cost of over $ 700.00 plus freight, plus fitting stumped me for an immediate purchase, plus my lack of ability to install the thing with any degree of professionalism had me thinking.

BACK TO e-Bay:--- The listing states: 20 litre Portable Toilet, Camping,Travel, Caravan toilet. The important part of all of this is THE PRICE. It only cost me $43.52 and $ 15.99 post/courier delivery by AustPost. The unit is the same principal as the Thetford model which has a 17 litre cassette capacity. but is not a permanent fitting.
It does not have the 12 volt pump to flush, but has a hand operated pump.
With this set-up I don't have to run 12 volt power and a water supply line to the toilet. It takes about the same space to locate it in the Toilet/Shower area at the rear of the house section. I have to make a way of clamping it to the floor to make it stable, but this should not be too difficult and well within my coach building ability; just a few right angle brackets bolted to the floor and a few clips to hold it in place. Problem solved.
I will not have to have a hole cut into the side of the van to give access to empty the cassette, thus saving the hundreds of dollars having an outside door access to empty and clean the thing. The seat does not swivel around like the Thetford model so I won't be able to "screw about" while I am On-the-throne.

The SAVING on the toilet will allow me the funds to buy a new Fisher Paykel E-248-T two door fridge ($640.00) which was the brand and model recommended on another Forum. I still have to buy an Inverter to run the 240 volt fridge. Those who know about these things say that I will need a 750 watt Inverter but I will go for at least 1,000 watt or larger unit. I am thinking around 400 amp/hour Deep Cycle Sealed batteries, with Solar panels to run the fridge and other creature comforts; LED lights, TV, DVD, Stereo Sound System to listed to Vivaldi -The Four Seasons, or the Pipes & Drums of a good Highland Pipe Band, while I am parked-up on the side of the road waiting for the Ranger to tell me to move-on.[Russell likes Vivaldi and dislikes Rangers].

Thats' my lot for now------
WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR VAN ??
-

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I would go for 200Ah of lithium batteries instead, the same useable capacity, recharge faster, much smaller area, 1/4 the weight and maybe slightly cheaper if compared to middle of the range quality deep cycle AGM batteries, they wil last a lot longer as well.
the inside portapotti v the external access cassette is a real horses for courses thing. It's the inconvenience of carrying the full cassette through the inside of the van and possible accidents as well as odours v the added cost and fitting difficulties. As long as Russell doesn't complain about the smell and try to match the accidents with his own cover accident it sounds like a good choice for you.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here -- Thanks T1 Terry --your advise about the batteries noted however it will be some time before I have to purchase them. From what I have read on the Forum the Lithium things are the way to go, and they last a lot longer. I am thinking that I will have to go with around 400 amp Hour in total to give me several days running without any major dramas.
I have a 3.5 kva generator plus the solar panels plus the motor alternator; all of which I can use to recharge the batteries. I understand that the Lithium batteries charge a lot faster than the AGM batteries. I will have a battery monitor ( like I have on the Sprinter) which tells me how much is left in the battery bank, amps in & amps out, voltage, and other information I don't yet know how to read.

As I am locating the toilet/shower across the back of the van I can empty the cassette from the back door, so I wont have to cart it through the "house" part to empty the cassette. The [e-Bay] unit has a sealed tank, similar to the Thetford system, so I am not expecting any unpleasant smell from it.

I appreciate any and all advise from the Forum Members as this build is a new challenge to me. At 75 years of age I am learning a lot of new things. Whoever thought I could install a Reverse Camera System. I even amaze myself to think that I would even try. The pleasure and joy was evident when I connected the power and it worked. My mate down the road suggested that I might try and fit the Air Horns myself. I had to produce a bottle of Jim Beam to coach him out of the driver's seat and stop him looking at the reverse mirror/camera image of the back yard. Celebration on Struggle Street. I even missed Judge Judy !!
Keith.